Why Consider the Portugal Golden Visa Scheme?
Portugal is one of Europe's most historically influential countries, with a rich past of global exploration and trade within a variety of industries. The Portugal Golden Visa is considered one of the world’s best Residency-by-Investment programmes. As a member of the EU, the Portugal Golden Visa Programme provides visa-free travel within the EU Schengen Area and provides a flexible path to Portuguese and European Union Citizenship or permanent residence after as little as five years. Those seeking expansive visa-free travel can see their Portugal residency visa granted within as little as 180 days, with minimal residency requirements to consider.
What Can You Expect If You Apply for the Portugal Residency Programme?
Portugal is an extremely family-friendly nation, known for its warm temperatures, many beautiful beaches and breath-taking landscapes. One of the key benefits of the Golden Visa Programme is the extension to main applicants dependants, providing an excellent option for families seeking a European base.
An advantageous element of the Portuguese residency visa requirements, particularly for those seeking Portuguese residency for business purposes, is that the programme requires an average of just seven days residence within Portugal per year. This allows for freedom of access across Europe with minimal residency requirement.
Portugal Golden Visa Requirements
To apply for the Portugal Golden Visa Programme, applicants must fulfil ONE of the following three options:
The first of our Portugal Golden Visa requirements is either of the following options:
- Purchase real estate with a minimum value of €500,000. Only touristic investments are allowed in Lisbon, Porto and the Algarve. This can be reduced to €400,000 in low population density areas.
- Purchase €350,000 in real estate more than 30 years old or located in urban regeneration areas. This can be reduced to €280,000 in low population density areas.
You may also consider one of the following options:
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €250,000 for investment in artistic output or maintenance of national heritage
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €500,000 for investment in research activities
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €500,000 for the purchase of shares in investment funds or in venture capital geared to the capitalisation of small and medium companies
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €1. 5 million into a Portuguese bank account
- Create a minimum of 10 new jobs
- Incorporate a company or increase the share capital of an existing Portuguese company for a minimum of €500,000 and must create five local jobs for a three-year period
All applicants of the Portugal Golden Visa programme are subject to the following fees:
- Primary applicant fee: €533
- Family member fee: €533
- Issue fee, per visa: €5,325
- Visa renewal fee per holder after years two and four: €5,325
To find out more about how to get Portuguese residency, and for full details on eligibility for a Portugal residency visa, view the official government website for this programme.
Portugal Golden Visa application process
Submit application and secure investment.
Golden Visa Programme permit issued for one year.
Golden Visa Programme permit renewed for two years.
Golden Visa Programme permit renewed for two years.
Golden Visa Programme permit renewed.
Applications for Portuguese Citizenship may be made.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main benefits of the Portugal Golden Visa Programme?
The Portugal Golden Visa programme is a five-year residency option for those seeking visa-free travel to all countries within the EU Schengen Area. The Portuguese residency allows applicants to live, work and study within Portugal and provides a flexible path to citizenship or permanent residence after five-years.
The Portugal Golden Visa requirements are relatively minimal with regards to physical presence, with just seven days during the first year of residence and 14 days during the following two years. This is beneficial to those seeking the residency primarily for business purposes, as it requires little time away from normal working conditions.
With payment of additional required fees, spouses and dependents can also enjoy the same benefits of the Portuguese residency as the main applicant, meaning access to high-quality Portuguese schools and universities.
How to qualify for Portuguese citizenship
In order to qualify for citizenship, you must have held residency status for at least five years and have a basic understanding (A2 level) of the Portuguese language.
Will my future children be eligible to be included?
As long as you have held residency status for at least one year, your future children will automatically receive Portuguese citizenship.
How often is the Portugal Golden Visa renewal required?
The Portugal Golden Visa requirements state that residency must be renewed after the initial year and must then continue to be renewed every two years. After five years, providing you have maintained your investment, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residence or citizenship.
What are the main criteria for Portugal Golden Visa eligibility?
In order to make an application for a Golden Visa in Portugal, you must fulfil the following requirements:
- Be over the age of 18
- Make a significant investment
- Have a clean criminal record
- Commit to maintaining your investment for at least five years.
What is the minimum investment required for a Portugal residency visa?
There are a few ways of gaining Portuguese Residency-by-Investment, which vary in complexity and financial output. The main three ways are as follows:
- Purchase of property – real estate equal to or above €500,000 (lower priced purchases available with additional conditions)
- Investment – €500,000 for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds
- Job Creation – Create at least ten employment positions within Portugal
How long does the Portugal Golden Visa Programme application take?
Subject to all requirements being fulfilled, residency can be granted in as little as 180 days. All requirements must be maintained throughout the application process in order to retain Portuguese residency.
We've helped investors from all over the world acquire Portugal's Golden Visa. Complete the form below to begin your journey to European Residency.
Eric G. Major
"I've spent the past 25 years helping private clients to successfully relocate around the world. A second residency or citizenship can seem like a big undertaking, but we'll be by your side to provide the guidance and support to make the journey enjoyable and stress-free."