Latitude's quick guide to residency and citizenship in Ireland
26 November 2018
Lush green countryside as far as the eye can see, traditional folk music, and the world-famous beer Guinness. That is what comes to mind for most people when you mention Ireland. However, things are starting to change...
Over the last 6 years, investors from around the world have realised that there is more to the Emerald Isle, and have consequently been investing significant capital into the country, making its economy the fastest growing in the Eurozone.
A tech investor’s paradise
Ireland is now the European home to the likes of Google, Intel, Facebook and Twitter and has repeatedly been named the best country in the world at attracting high-value direct investment. Ireland's favourable corporation tax structure is an appealing factor for entrepreneurial business owners and once Brexit takes effect, Ireland will be the only native English-speaking country in the EU, making it a strategic hub for European tech investors.
Irish residency and a path to citizenship
The Irish Immigrant Investor Visa Programme (IIIP), a recent addition to our portfolio of citizenship & residency solutions, grants Irish residency within 6 months starting from an endowment of €500,000.
The IIIP offers residency holders excellent health and lifestyle benefits including access to world-class educational institutions, low rates of taxation and a recognised path to European Citizenship after 5 years of physical residency. Once European citizenship is granted, Irish citizens enjoy visa-free access to 185 countries and the right to live, work and study in any EU country.
The IIIP requirements are straightforward; applicants need to be at least 18 years old, be from outside of the EEA and must select ONE of the following four options:
- A minimum investment of €1 million in an Approved Investment Fund, committed for a minimum of 3 years.
- A minimum investment of €1 million in either a single Irish enterprise or spread over a number of enterprises, for a minimum of 3 years.
- A minimum investment of €2 million in any Irish REIT that is listed on the Irish Stock Exchange, committed for a minimum of 3 years.
- A minimum endowment of €500,000* in a project of public benefit in the arts, sports, health, cultural or educational field.
*Where a group of five or more investors combine their endowments, a minimum investment of €400,000 per investor will qualify under the Programme.
More Irish Immigrant Investor Visa benefits
The IIIP can be extended to spouses and dependent children up to the age of 24, allowing them to reap the rewards of the following benefits:
- Access a state-of-the-art health care service
- Access world-leading schools and universities
- Live amidst a temperate climate and low pollution levels
- Experience Ireland's rich culture and history
Your key contact
Dom Barnes is our lead consultant for the programme, commenting on its recent popularity, “The Irish Immigrant Investor Programme has been incredibly popular over the last two years, especially with Chinese investors who are encouraged by; the country’s ongoing commitment to the tech sector; its provision of world-class education and of course the fact that it is an EU member state. Not only is Ireland a lucrative place to invest…the Irish are some of the friendliest people you will meet.”
To discuss your own eligibility for the IIIP, complete our contact form.